By Suzanne Robicheau |
Thanks to a geophysical survey, Saint Mary’s researchers are one step closer to solving a more than 250-year old mystery. In the continuation of an investigation begun by Saint Mary’s professor Jonathan Fowler, a team of Anthropology students led by adjunct professor, Dr. Eric Henry, has uncovered evidence of the long-buried remains of a star-shaped fort near Nova Scotia’s historic Lunenburg Academy. Built by the British in 1753 as a defense for the town, the earth and wood structure was first noted on a map drawn around 1753. An integral part of the settlement’s protection, the fort could fill in major gaps in Nova Scotian history.